LETTER FROM THE BOARD CHAIR AND PRESIDENT

Letter from Board Chair & GICA President for Annual Report

We are grateful for your support of private, not-for-profit higher education. The Georgia Independent College Association (GICA) represents 24 colleges and universities that provide a high-quality, affordable education to over 68,000 students. The students attending a GICA-member institution are diverse: 56% are non-white students, 14% are over the age of 25, and 43% of students receive the federal Pell grant for the most financially needy students. Last year GICA distributed over $600,000 in scholarship aid. Your contribution makes a difference in the lives of Georgians.

In 2017, GICA continued to foster collaboration among our members and with various state agencies. Partnership highlights include:

  • GICA spearheaded the creation of a statewide coalition with our public institutions to focus on healthy campus environments. The focus is currently on the prevention of sexual misconduct and alcohol and other drug misuse and abuse.
  • GICA continued its multi-year grant from the federal Department of Health and Human Services to address sexual assault prevention. GICA is collaborating with the University System of Georgia and the Technical College System of Georgia on this important initiative.
  • 14 GICA members participated in a collaborative program centered around federal compliance issues.
  • GICA participated in GA-AWARDS, the state longitudinal data system designed to assist education policy researchers to better evaluate and create educational policies across Georgia.

GICA is humbled by our donors and Corporate Affiliate Partners support of the independent higher education sector. The continued financial support of student aid and scholarship programs is critical to students wanting to choose an institution that best fits their educational, social and spiritual needs. Without your continued support, students would have fewer choices and opportunities.

Thank you for your continued support of Georgia’s private, not-for-profit colleges.

Sincerely,

Dr. Derek Halvorson
Covenant College, President
GICA Board Chair

Dr. Susanna L. Baxter
President, GICA

FOUNDED: GICA was founded by college presidents and corporate executives in 1956.LEGAL STATUS: A 501(c)(3) tax-exempt charitable organization.

MEMBERSHIP: Fully SACSCOC-accredited, two-and four-year degree-granting, nonprofit, private, liberal arts institutions in Georgia.

PURPOSE: Raise awareness of Georgia’s private, liberal arts colleges and universities. Influence public policy in support of higher education in Georgia. Secure funds and other gifts for the benefit of the member institutions and their students. Promote the member institutions as distinct alternatives in higher education.

MANAGEMENT: GICA is governed by a Board composed of member college presidents and representatives from business, industry and professional communities. A Member Services Council supports activities and fundraising.

DISTRIBUTION OF CONTRIBUTIONS: Designated contributions are distributed according to donors’ wishes. Fundraising members share equally in 60% of undesignated funds; the remaining 40% is distributed in proportion to the number of full-time undergraduate students at each institution.

ENDOWMENT: GICA benefits from several endowments. In 2017, the total value of these endowments was $14.4 million.


adminAbout GICA